Who doesn't love apple crisp?
There's just something about pulling an apple crisp dessert from the oven that just fills the house with the amazing smells of fall. The apples are soft and tender and the streusel topping is crisp and perfect. It's an easy dessert that should be topped with fresh made whipped cream or better yet, vanilla ice cream, and you have the most delicious dessert you can serve to your family and friends.
Try using locally grown apples, if you can. Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and even Braeburn hold their shape as they bake. You can even add a few blueberries or cranberries into the mixture for added flavor. I usually make apple crisp in a baking dish and then serve it in individual bowls. How much fun is it to bake the apple crisp in individual baking dishes! I think these would be really nice as dessert for when family and friends are visiting.
These White Ramekins work perfectly for the apple crisp.
Or these red ones would look pretty for Fall.
You can prepare these individual apple crisps ahead of time and bake them in the oven just as you're sitting down to dinner. The house will smell wonderful and your guests will be waiting with their mouths watering for you to pull the individual dishes out of the oven for dessert. A dessert like this calls for fresh whipped cream, although a can would do if that's all you have, or better yet, a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
prep time: 20 MINScook time: 20 MINStotal time: 40 mins
Apple crisp is a dessert consisting of baked chopped apples, topped with a crisp streusel crust. A delicious dessert made prettier by baking and serving in individual baking dishes or you can bake it in a larger baking dish to serve family style.
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 4 Tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick); cut into pieces
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans; if desired
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the apples and toss to combine.
- Add the butter and flour to a different bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, or two forks, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the sugar, oats and chopped nuts.
- Place the apples in an 8X10 baking dish, that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the flour,sugar,oats mixture evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake in a preheated 365 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the apples are cooked through.
- Cool slightly before serving and don't forget to top with homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
If you're wondering exactly which apples are best for baking, check out a post I did a few weeks ago.
More great tools to help with all your baking needs!
Don't forget to follow my Desserts Board on Pinterest...
Never miss a post from Walking on Sunshine Recipes. Click on the box below to Sign up NOW and get new posts delivered to your inbox every morning. I'll also send you a printable weekly menu to use to help plan your family's meals. You can also follow along with me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.