Cleaning Your Kitchen Sponge

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

This week's tip has to do with your kitchen sponge...

We've all been there.  You're working in the kitchen and all of a sudden you notice a "smell."  You have no clue where it's coming from until after some investigation you realize it's your kitchen sponge.  

What to do?  Throw it away?  NO!  You can disinfect your kitchen sponge to get rid of smells, but more importantly, get rid of the germs that are causing the sponge to smell in the first place.  

Did you know that your kitchen sponge can contain a dangerous mix of fecal bacteria, 
E. Coli and bacterial spores? 
(Photo Credit:  Google Images

Here is a kitchen tip that will keep your sponges smelling clean but more importantly will keep your sponges disinfected.  Placing your sponge in the microwave for just two to four minutes at full power will kill more than 99 percent of all living germs and bacteria.  

(Photo Credit:  Google Images)

I like to spray my sponge with vinegar or lemon and then place on a microwave-safe plate and place in the microwave and zap away.  THE SPONGE MUST BE WET or you could start a fire.  

Here is some more advice I found online:
  • Microwave only sponges or plastic scrubbers that do not contain steel or other metals.
  • Make sure the sponge or scrubber is wet, not dry.
  • Two minutes should kill most disease-causing germs.  
  • Be careful when removing the will be very hot. 

Source:  WebMD

So why not get your sponge and zap it for a few minutes before you start preparing dinner tonight?  

I try to disinfect mine a few times a week.  


  1. This is an awesome tip! Thanks! :)

  2. G'day and GREAT tip Lois, true!
    I put mine in the dishwasher too!
    Cheers! Joanne

    1. I do the dishwasher also Joanne! And then I put it in the microwave since it's always still wet from the dishwasher! Thanks for visiting.

  3. Love this! Now I will by sponges again! I got tired of throwing them away from the funky smells!

    1. LOL, same here! I was always throwing them away until I discovered this tip! Thanks for visiting.